Tuesday, August 20, 2013

barn quilt complete

Hello Sweet Ones!
Hope that you had a wonderful weekend and a great start to the week! It has been a busy week already for me, but I am happy that over the weekend I finished my mini barn quilt! And, I love how it turned out!
 I wanted to keep the quilting simple so I just did a little machine and hand quilting around each barn and then added a some hand quilting on each door and window. I used a cream thread, so it's kinda hard to see in the photos. ;)
 For the back I did a patchwork of these two prints that I thought would be cute and reminded me of the sweet country life.  
 I ended up washing it, but I think that if you plan to hang a quilt it is better to not wash it, so it is stiffer and lays nicely against the wall. But, I just love that wrinkle goodness of a quilt after it's washed! ;) 
So, thank you to Lori Holt for having such a wonderful Quilty Barn Along and to Jessie of Messy Jesse for the inspiration in doing a mini barn quilt! 
 I have been working on another crocheted hanger and this one has a little local history. I bought a few of these hangers from a thrift store and just loved that they were from a local cleaners that used to be opened back in the day. I wonder when cleaners stopped using wooden hangers? 
 And, this is the finished hanger! I used a pretty red crochet thread, which I love. I only have one red crocheted hanger from my great grandmother, and don't come across this color too often, so I am happy to have another in my collection.  
 I added a pretty floral scrappy bow and may add some flowers later. Simple, but sweet! 
And, another hexie flower is done! I have 7 more flowers to go!! 
I am getting excited that fall is almost upon us and I can't wait to start working on some projects and for that crisp weather. Last night was a lot cooler, so it was nice to work on some rows for my ripple afghan. And, Christmas crafting and sewing is already in the planning stages. I am starting early this year in hopes to get ahead, as I always feel so behind in what I want to get done. How about you? 

Well, I look forward to catching up with you all and see what you have been up to! 
Wishing you all a most lovely and crafty week! xo




27 comments:

  1. Your barn quilt is really pretty, I like the way you quilted it!! Love flower hexagon block too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! You did an amazing job:) Have a blessed day sweet Heather! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Far behind!?! Lady, you are a whirlwind of energy!! Every time that I read your blog it is with a gaping mouth while I read in disbelief all that you manage to finish.
    I really love your barn quilt it is so very cute. Can I ask a silly question? What type of batting did you use to make the quilt so thin. I've only ever found huge thick ones like you would use for a bed quilt.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your barn quilt turned out very cute! Love the red checke sashing and borders, too. Very pretty red hanger, too. Glad you were able to match the color up with the one from your Great Grandma. I need to get my thinking cap on for Holiday crafting (Christmas).. I have a few people I make small things for every year, so I'll need to get started soon. Am almost finished with my last great nephew baby afghan for this year, so will be free to do other crafts in a few more days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a charming barn quilt!! The red gingham suits it just perfectly. Love the hanger and hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, This is the place to come if I want my jaw to drop open. It is always inspiring to see what magic you have created with your fabrics. Lovely choices! Wonderful quilt! PS OHHHH! That vintage clothes pin bag! Thanks for the hello! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. The barn quilt is just beautiful! Such pretty fabrics! I absolutely love that red hanger, too! You should make more red ones! You finished it off perfectly with that scrappy bow! I am getting really excited about seeing your hexagon quilt. I just know how gorgeous it's going to be! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your fabric selections are always just perfect. Your barn quilt is really pretty. I wouldn't expect anything less. It's always such a treat to share your projects with my quilting mother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that quilt is adorable!! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on finishing the little quilt. The hanger is too cute - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice finish Heather. The hand quilting is a nice addition : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the red gingham on your barn quilt! It is divine! And the hangar too cute. I have been wanting to do some knitting or crochet myself. What pattern are you using for your ripple afghan?
    xo jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great quilt! I love that beautiful bright red you've used for the coat hanger, very pretty Heather. Some things just disappear, like wooden coathangers in dry cleaners and we don't really miss them until they're gone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful creativeness....I'm planning some English paper piercing for over the winter, I used to do lots and want to try it again! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. i am looking forward to the crisp weather too...
    such a cute barn quilt-i always like the wrinkled look of washing them :)
    thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your barn quilt turn out so cute. Love the binding you choose. I guess I did not know the cleaners used to use wooden hangers. What a score. Those hangers are hard to find. You flower turned out perfectly. I am with you, hurry up fall. It has been a little cooler here. But I so can not wait for cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heather you're barn quilt is SO adorable!!! thank you so much for mentioning me, I'm so touched that I may have inspired you too :) your hexies are absolutely adorable too! I love, love love them! I'm already working on diamond pep but I so want to do hexagons now! xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your barn quilt is fantastic! And I LOVE your new red crocheted hanger....I'm still displaying mine - they look so cute just hanging out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your barn quilt is so wonderful! I love it!! They barns are so lovely, I just love the color combinations you made!! Thank you so much for my very very sweet package in the mail!! :) So sweet of you to add the extras in! That's so neat that those wooden hangers are local, I love things with history behind them! I've already been thinking some about fall/halloween crafting, I'm always hoping to start early for a new season, and always feel behind too! Lol. Happy crafting! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh-so-pretty! Love your Barn Quilt and that cute red hanger. I do wish Dry Cleaners still used wooden hangers, I really don't like those horrible wire things!
    Can't wait to see your hexie quilt all finished too - just LOVE those fabrics.
    Have a happy, crafty week sweet friend,
    hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I adore your barn quilt!! It is the sweetest one I've seen so far!! Making one is on my list and seeing yours makes me want to put it to the top of my list!

    I love your hexie flower and crochet hanger! Too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my! You go! I love this mini quilt. I am a little behind and hope to catch up within the next week or so once school is in full swing and things settle down. I love the hanger, the red is beautiful! Can't wait to see your hexie quilt. Have a wonderful night, Holly

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your barn quilt turned out so well!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Heather! Your mini barn quilt is fabulous! What a splendid idea to do a mini quilt - maybe I will get adventurous and try my hand at one :) Your hangers are always darling and I love the sweet bow on this one. Have a wonderful day! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The quilt is VERY sweet! In my perfect world, my hall closet will be organized and all of the coats will be hung on hangers just like that! (Need to work on that closet first!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you kindly for leaving your comments! It truly makes my day. I will always do my very best to reply or answer any questions. If you are a no-reply blogger, you can leave your email so I can reply or answer your questions. Have a blessed day!